Rockdale and Wolli Creek: 02 9567 7755

Wolli Creek Suburb Profile

Since its inception, Wolli Creek has undergone rapid development from a predominantly industrial precinct to a high density residential and commercial area. The new suburb was to be called North Arncliffe, however residents in the area petitioned the council to conduct a vote to select a better name. Wolli Creek was the most popular choice named after the waterway on its northern border.

History

Wolli Creek was previously part of Arncliffe. Land on the banks of the Cooks River was granted to Reuben Hannam in 1825. Alexander Brodie Spark purchased land in 1836 and built Tempe House, one of the great Georgian houses of Sydney. Philanthropist, Caroline Chisolm, leased Tempe House as a boarding school for young women from 1863 – 1865. The estate was known as Greenbank during that time and presented an ideal location for her work.

In 1884 the estate was sold to the Sisters of the Good Samaritan. The Sisters added the impressive St Magdalen’s Chapel which was designed by the Sydney architects who planned the Archbishop’s Sydney residence and St Patrick’s College at Manly. The chapel has been restored as part of the Discovery Point redevelopment.

Present Day

Many quality high rise developments have already been built around the piazza style Village Square comprising a variety of cafes and shops. A 4200 sqm flagship Woolworths Supermarket opened on the 10th October, 2012 and a Dan Murphy’s store opened in early 2013. An Aldi Supermarket is under construction.

Parks/Facilities

Cahill Park is located along the Princes Highway and Gertrude Street, fronting the Cooks River. Facilities include playground equipment, electric barbeques and sporting fields for cricket and rugby. Discovery Point Park is a privately owned park, open to the public which offers over three hectares of landscaped parklands and water frontage with provisions for walking and cycling. Kogarah Golf Club and St George Rowing Club are close by.

Transport

The Princes Highway links Wolli Creek north to Tempe and the Sydney CBD and south to Arncliffe and Rockdale. The M5 South Western Motorway, with entrances and exits at nearby Arncliffe, runs south-west towards Liverpool and north-east towards Botany and the city.

Wolli Creek station is a railway junction for the Illawarra Line, Airport Line and East Hills Line. Part of the Village Square will include a transport interchange for rail, bus and taxis.